4 great spots in Athens to enjoy the Full MoonAugust 10, 2022
Evia: Discover one of the most gorgeous and “undisturbed” beaches on the south side of the islandAugust 20, 2022
grA recent study found that the Athens metro has the second worst reputation for pickpocketing in the world.Money.co.uk conducted a survey to determine the world's most prone tourist destinations in terms of pickpocketing based on the total number of Tripadvisor reviews for popular attractions and transportation stations throughout the world and the number of reviews that mentioned pickpockets.
According to this study, Greece pickpockets are on the rise and the Greek capital's subway ranks second in pickpocket complaints.
The Athens metro is the second-worst pickpocketing hotspot, after Benidorm's Municipal Market, Spain's greatest pickpocketing location, which is also known as the "pickpocket capital of the world".
The most pickpockets hang around busy metro stations and marketplaces, according to the study. The Athens subway is in second place, according to the data.
Although Athens Metro, as part of the public transportation system of Athens, is a quick and convenient way to get around this beautiful city, it seems that there are some people in this city who take advantage of others by stealing their belongings. According to Tripadvisor traveler comments, 88 out of a total 579 reviews on the site mentioning pickpockets mention this type of crime.
One in every five (15.20 percent) of all reviews is bad, which is a significant difference when compared to the 11.65% posted by the previous Colon Street of Cebu City in the Philippines. This destination is ranked third for pickpocketing safety concerns.
Useful Advice for not falling victim
- Take care of your personal belongings. Your personal belongings may include your mobile phone, your wallet, or another valuable thing. Put them in places where you can see them and they are not easily reachable.
- Have your backpack in front of you while inside the metro, if you don't want to have your wallet stolen without noticing.
- If you have your wallet stolen, or any other personal belonging is missing, you have to inform the local police. Usually, there is security in every metro station so you can reach them easily.
- Do not look like a tourist. Pickpockets usually target tourists so behave in a way that you know where you are going.
- Apart from greece pickpockets there are also scams: They may try to sell you fake credit cards, which you will obviously refuse.
If you don't want to have all this headache about your personal belongings and safety, the most convenient way is to get a travel insurance cover while in Greece.
Having a hustle free vacation in Greece is invaluable, so spending a very small amount of money for an insurance is the best solution.
VisitorsCoverage is a world acknowledged insurance company for travelers so you can try this one to get your own travel insurance in five minutes.