Athens Welcomes the Timeless Legacy of C.P. Cavafy in Plaka DistrictDecember 13, 2023
Shaping Sustainable Tourism in Athens: A Groundbreaking Study BeginsDecember 13, 2023
Discover Exarcheia, a neighborhood in Athens that captivates with its rich blend of art, café culture, and a spirited history of counterculture. Unlike the more tourist-frequented areas of Athens, Exarcheia offers a raw and authentic glimpse into the city’s contemporary cultural scene.
The Heart of Modern Greek Culture: Exarcheia is celebrated for its artistic soul. The streets here are adorned with striking graffiti and murals, reflecting the neighborhood’s history of political activism and its vibrant contemporary art scene. Strolling through Exarcheia, visitors will find a plethora of art galleries showcasing the works of both established and emerging Greek artists.
Café Culture and Culinary Delights: The café culture in Exarcheia is unmatched. The district is dotted with charming cafés, each with its own unique character. From traditional Greek coffee houses to modern, hipster-style cafés, there’s a spot for every type of coffee enthusiast. Additionally, the area boasts an array of eateries offering delicious Greek cuisine, from classic souvlaki to modern fusion dishes.
A Hub of Intellectual and Political Activity: Exarcheia has a rich history as a hub for intellectual and political activity, often being at the forefront of significant political events in Greece. This revolutionary spirit is palpable in its lively squares and gathering spots, making it a fascinating area for those interested in modern Greek history and politics.
A Diverse and Inclusive Community: The neighborhood is known for its diverse and inclusive community. It’s a place where artists, students, intellectuals, and locals come together, creating a vibrant and dynamic atmosphere. This diversity is reflected in the variety of shops, bookstores, and cultural spaces found throughout the district.
Why Visit Exarcheia: For travelers seeking an experience beyond the typical tourist spots, Exarcheia offers a unique perspective on Athens. It’s a place where the city’s historical roots meet modern-day culture, offering an authentic and unforgettable experience.
Exarcheia, the bohemian heart of Athens, offers a rich variety of cafes and restaurants, each with its unique charm and flavor. Here are some notable spots to check out:
- Ama Lachei: This restaurant, set in a converted primary school with a charming old Athenian courtyard, is known for its delightful selection of meze dishes. The ambiance is relaxed, and it’s a great spot to soak up the local atmosphere and enjoy a variety of local delicacies at reasonable prices.
- La Cantina Exarchia: If you’re in the mood for a global culinary journey, La Cantina is the place to go. This restaurant serves up comfort-food classics from around the world, including Indian chicken curry, Mexican chilli con carne, Italian meatballs in red sauce, and Lebanese baba ganoush.
- Salero: This Greco-Spanish haven offers a mix of tapas and main courses, perfect for a late-night dining experience. The restaurant is known for its impressive line-up of tapas, catering to all preferences and dietary requirements, and its salads are particularly noteworthy.
- Sousourada: Doubling as a café, mezedopoleio, and wine bar, Sousourada is known for its impressive wine list and serves a variety of meze dishes throughout the day. It’s a modern Greek hotspot with a contemporary industrial vibe.
- Rozalia: Located on Valtetsiou Street, Rozalia offers classic Greek dishes with a ‘no preservatives mentality’. The taverna is known for sourcing meat from nearby free-grazing farms and fresh fish from local fishermen. The fried zucchini sticks and Rozalia salad are must-tries.
- Prigipas: This unique surf ‘n’ turf souvlaki and burger joint serves up street food fit for a prince. With meats sourced from small farms and grilled over charcoal, Prigipas offers classic souvlaki wraps, veggie kebabs, and smoked trout in fluffy corn pitta.
- Warehouse Specialty Blends: This café serves sophisticated coffee varieties and quality wines. With an industrial design and a short but interesting food menu, Warehouse offers a relaxed sophistication perfect for enjoying a cup of coffee or a glass of wine.
- Alexandrino Café Bistro: For a touch of French flair, Alexandrino is an all-day joint known for great service and cocktails, including a mean pisco sour. It’s an ideal place for people watching and enjoying a selection of sweet and savory snacks in a jazzy ambiance.